Friday, July 4, 2008

New Believers

Fever Theater's New Believers is a continuation of work begun in January with their show Believers. While Believers examined cult behavior in a fairly straightforward fashion, the new show takes a more abstract approach to the broader questions of why people need to believe in things, and why they believe the things that they do.-Alison Hallett (Portland Mercury)

(I saw this show last night and in my opinion) New Believers is a lively interactive glance into a new world where the familiar becomes the obscure and commonplace objects become magic. I was unsure about this play at first I have never been to such a nontraditional show and was weary of the lack of costumes, sets and heavy dependence on a confusing abstract script. I was pleasantly surprised by the show’s somber tone with sudden flavors of, anger, insanity, joy, sadness, and humor. I found myself running through the full gamut of emotions. At many points I had no idea what was going on in the plot but the beauty of this show was that (like any good abstract art) it speaks to everyone in a different way and in that way becomes something very personalized and dear.
There are lots of interactions between cast and audience that bring you into the show’s lap. I found myself part of the action and on my toes confused but curious about what would come next. Even in the subtlest moments I was never bored or disappointed. The magic of this show is fueled by the wonderfully odd cast, their full commitment to each step, movement and line, made me care about what was going to happen even when I didn’t know what was going on.
Sets and costumes although minimalist where appropriate, to set the proper mood. The use of sounds, did more for the setting than any amount of set dressing, expensive costuming and lighting could have ever done for a show like this.
I was skeptical at first but left the theater with a light and perplexed feeling as if I needed to adjust back to normal life after spending a few hours in someone else’s dream. I loved this show. It was fun and engrossing it was art and it was emotional, I was moved by it.

For more info on this and other Fever Theater shows visit http://www.fevertheater.com/

New Believers

Fever Theater at the Casket, 403 NW 5th, 381-6814, Thurs-Sat 8 pm, through July 5 (no show on July 4), $10-15 (Thurs pay what you will)

No comments: